Monday, September 21, 2015

Design evaluation




Archery is one of my hobbies that i enjoy practicing in my spare time. Recently I have decided to try something new in this sport and look for a different kind of bow that I have never used before. Since i was introduced in this sport I have only ever used a re-curve bow. Now I want to give a compound a "shot".  The difference for those of you who do not know between re-curve and compound bows is thus. A re-curve bow uses only one string and the archer will hold back the pressure cased by the tension of the string on the arrow. A compound uses a pulley systems which take the pressure off the archer once the string is pulled back far enough that he cam engages.

Compound bows are mostly known to those who enjoy hunting. With a compound bow you can have a much higher ft pound of torch to "take down" an animal with out to much strain on the hunters arms. Plus with the pulley system taking all the pressure off the arm, the hunter can take longer to aim. I am only a target shooter so i have limited myself to Olympic re-curve. I have decided to look up compound competitions, they seem to be the same but different from Olympic style.

Archery can be a very expensive sport to become involved in. Many start by renting equipment at a shooting range then buying a bow latter when they have a better grasp on the technique. I am probably being an idiot and want to buy myself a bow to start with. This weekend I visited an archery supply shop and tested out a compound for the first time. Sadly my phone was dead so I did not take any pictures of any of the equipment that I am considering. There are many different brands that produce archery equipment, and each one performs the same function. Why than is it so difficult to choose one that I want?
Well depending on the materials used to construct the bow, the ft pounds of torch it produces, and the brand are all contributing factors to the price. The true question is, should I spend more and get one that comes complete and in a color I like? Or should i get one that I can add equipment (sight, rest, etc), the price sometimes is not that that different.

A second option is that I would like another riser for my re-curve. with the two set of limbs that i already own this would make a complete second bow. This is only a question of what style, color, and brand. Some examples are as follows.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment